INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE CANADA (IEC)
If you are looking for an opportunity to travel and work in Canada, the International Experience Canada (IEC) might be what you need. This program is meant for youth between 18 and 35 years old from 33 partner countries of Canada. The participants are allowed to work abroad for up to two years without meeting labor market. The quota for this “exchange” varies every year per country (Canadians to other nations and vice versa).
IEC is a lifetime chance to enhance your professional curriculum and gain vibrant personal experience by living in a different place with high life quality such as Canada, learning new languages, discovering a new culture and new people. And according to bilateral agreements, there are three categories offered on this program:
This is a chance to travel across the country while working. With the Working Holiday program, participants are allowed to work anywhere in Canada for any Canadian employer.
Thinking about career developments, members of the Young Professionals program have the chance to develop their skills and have work experience in Canada. To do this, candidates must find an employer and sign a qualified employment contract.
International Co-op (Internships)
International Co-op is a chance for students to acquire work experience as part of your studies in the form of an internship. It`s a very nice way to gain some practical knowledge in their field of study.
To become a candidate
In other to become a candidate, you must answer an eligibility questionnaire. If you are eligible, it’s time to create your free online IEC profile. The answers given will be used to determine if you’re eligible for a pool in one or more IEC categories. Submitting your profile for more than one pool is possible. Candidates in the pools need to receive an invitation to apply for a work permit.
The questions are related to your country of citizenship, your country of permanent residence (where you live permanently), your country of residence (where you live now), your student status (if this applies to you) and your job offer (if this applies to you).
This answers from the questionnaire will be used to start your profile. To complete the profile, you’ll need your passport, identity (full names, date of birth, place of birth, etc.) and contact information. And the applicants who are accepted into the pool under one of the three categories are invited to apply and must apply for a work permit.
Eligibility conditions for the IEC program:
Please be advised that all candidates must be:
- Passport holder or citizen of one of the 33 countries that have an agreement with Canada about bilateral youth mobility;
- With a valid passport for the entire stay in Canada (the work permit shouldn`t be longer than the passport validity);
- Between 18 and 30 or 35 years old at the application time (the upper age limit depends on the applicant’s citizenship);
- Possess an amount of $2,500 CAN to cover the initial expenses;
- Assign for health insurance during their whole stay (participants may have to show evidence of this insurance at the point of entry in Canada);
- Admissible to Canada;
- In possession of the departure ticket or with enough financial resources to purchase that at the end of their authorized stay in Canada;
- Without the company of dependents;
- With all the required fees paid.