QUEBEC SKILLED WORKER PROGRAM
The QSWP is for the skilled immigrant who has the intention of settling in Québec to hold a job. This program does not require a Canadian employer and at the end of the process, you will be granted a Permanent Resident Visa.
Quebec selected Skilled Workers must apply for permanent residence in two (2) stages:
- You must first apply to the Quebec government for a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ). This is the official document that shows that the Government of Quebec has assessed you against their own selection criteria and accepted you for immigration to their province.
- After you have been selected by Quebec and obtained a CSQ, you must submit a separate application to CIC for permanent residence. A CIC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations. You will need to pass medical, security and criminality checks.
Selection is made using a point grid which assesses several selection criteria. Points are awarded for each of these selection factors. A point threshold was implemented for this round, where a single applicant must score at least 50 points, while an applicant with a spouse or common-law partner must score at least 59 points.
Selection factors in the point grid
The following employability factors are considered:
- Level of education and area of training (Maximum 26 points)
- Work experience (Maximum 8 points)
- Age (Maximum 16 points)
- Knowledge of English and French (Maximum 22 points)
- Stays in Québec and family relationship with a Canadian citizen or a permanent Québec resident (Maximum 8 points)
- Valid employment offer (Maximum 10 points)
- Characteristics regarding your accompanying spouse or common-law spouse, if applicable (Maximum 17 points)
- Number of children under the age of 21 or under who will be accompanying you to Québec (Maximum 8 points)
- Capacity for financial self-sufficiency (Maximum 1 point)
Maximum number of applications
It is the most competitive provincial program, with application caps filled within a matter of days.
Candidates who can submit an application at any time
Even if the maximum number of applications has been attained in the regular stream, you can submit your application at any time if:
- you have a job offer validated by the Ministère or
- you are a temporary resident and eligible to apply for a Certificat de Sélection du Québec.
The Government of Canada has jurisdiction over the final admission of applicants. After obtaining your Certificat de Sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate), you must apply to the Centralized Intake Office in Canada, in Sydney, Nova Scotia, for permanent residence (visa) as a skilled worker selected by Quebec.
The Government of Canada will evaluate your medical records and those of your family members, and conduct a security check.
If you meet all the requirements, you will be issued a permanent residence visa by the Government of Canada.
Individuals interested in applying under Quebec Skilled Worker may obtain an assessment of their eligibility by completing our Free Online Evaluation